Ok, don’t judge – I mean, really, don’t judge.
This is a microwave recipe, yes, but not like Hungry Girl style with weird microwaved eggs-in-a-mug… This is for real.
I saw the recipe in my Eating Well email link – 7 Unexpected Uses for Your Microwave. Yes, I was skeptical, as you probably are at this moment, but the recipe is legit. Delicious. So worth the tiny amount of prep time and waiting that it takes. And they aren’t fried! The little microwave sucks all the moisture out of them and you end up with these crunchy little crispy salty bits of potato-y goodness, just like you would with a tasty kettle-style chip.
Microwaved Potato Chips – adapted from Eating Well
What you need:
2 large potatoes, or 4 medium potatoes, sliced into super thin slices
2 tsp canola oil
1/4 tsp salt, plus a little more
Here’s what you do:
- Toss the potato slices with the oil and a pinch of the salt, in a medium-sized bowl
- Lay the slices out on a large plate in a single layer, and sprinkle with salt
- Microwave on high for at least 4 minutes – I’d say check every minute after that
- Let them sit for a minute before removing them from the plate
- Repeat steps 1-4 until you have crisped up all of the slices
Just thinking now, you could mix this up a bit by tossing with spices, or simply add a few grinds of pepper with the second round of salt, for something different. I’m thinking smoky paprika, chili pepper, and cumin.