On Saturday, after I picked this lovely mountain (aka. 8 pounds) of blueberries at Willow Hill Farm, I had pie on the brain.
I was thinking about a recipe I found on Pinterest a while back for blueberries and cream pie, but I didn’t have anything creamy (sour cream, cream cheese, mascarpone) to make the filling, so I thought about what I did have and searched out this recipe for Blueberry Buttermilk Pie. While the recipe looked intriguing, I could spot a number of problems right away — there weren’t enough berries and there was too much of, well, everything else.
Here’s my version:
Berry & Buttermilk Pie
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 2 cups of berries (I used mostly blueberries and topped with raspberries)
- 2 tablespoons soft margarine
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (I used buttermilk powder and milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Par-bake the crust for 10-12 mins (make sure to prick the bottom with a fork 4-6 times first).
- Pour the berries into the par-baked crust.
- Whisk together the margarine, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla (until thoroughly mixed).
- Quickly mix in the flour, sugar and salt. Do not mix for long!
- Pour the buttermilk custard over the berries.
- Bake for 60 mins or until top is golden brown and center is set.