Over the weekend, I was playing that game I love so much – the “what-on-earth-can-I-make-with-random-stuff-we-have” game. I took some inspiration from a quick search on Pinterest and then surveyed what we had on hand.
These crispy little patties are super-satisfying, nicely seasoned, but very light on the palate. And here’s the kicker — they taste like fried chicken. No joke here. There isn’t a single “meaty” thing in this dish, but somehow it tastes like we should feel guilty. Haha – in any case, this is a must-repeat dish.
For the lentils:
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils, picked through and rinsed with cold tap water
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pkt. Sazón Goya – Cilantro y tomate
- Salt (I’ve been using Pink Himalayan)
- Combine lentils, water, Sazón and a generous sprinkling of salt.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Let it simmer away for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. (Do not cover.)
For the patties:
- Cooked lentils (see above)
- 1 egg
- 1 clove roasted garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fine bulgur – uncooked
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh herbs, finely chopped (I used mint, parsley, cilantro and dill)
- 1 teaspoon each salt and za’atar seasoning mix
- Oil for frying
- Put all ingredients except for oil into a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- Spoon into hot oil and shallow fry the first side for 4-5 minutes or until bottom is nice and brown.
- Turn them over (I use the two-fork method) and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Salt immediately.
- Repeat steps 3-5 until all mix is used up.
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 generous tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon each lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and za’atar seasoning mix
- Put all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Combine well – don’t worry if the oil doesn’t mix in completely.
- 2 cups baby lettuce (or kale)
- 1 handful fresh herbs, torn by hand – I used cilantro, dill, parsley and basil
- 1 handful fresh grape tomatoes
- a few spoonfuls of crumbled feta
- Combine lettuce and herbs and split between two serving plates.
- Top with tomatoes.
- Spoon 1/4 of the yogurt sauce over each salad.
- Top with feta.
- Top with 3 lentil patties.