I had hoped to pick sour cherries at Shelburne Orchards last weekend, but somehow, even though I had thought alot about going, I completely forgot when Saturday came around.
Luckily enough, though, when we stopped at Hudak Farm’s farmstand on the way home from the grocery store (looking for organic tomatoes), we spotted some sour cherries!
I was super-excited to find them, and quickly snapped up a quart of them:
It wasn’t until we arrived home that I realized that, not only had I never cooked with them, I had never eaten them. So I contacted Natty, my favorite Ukrainian, since I remembered hearing her talk about them once. She gave me directions for making “sour cherries in their juices,” which I could then use as a base for multiple sour cherry concoctions.
Her directions were simple – mix the cherries with sugar and then bring to boil to dissolve the sugar.
I followed her directions – mostly… except for where I didn’t use white sugar, and never heated the cherries. Hehe. But, never-the-less, her directions gave me a jumping-off point for some yummy sour cherry dishes.
Here’s what I did:
I rinsed them, halved them, and removed the pits.
I tossed them with a generous amount of dark brown sugar, which is preferred in this household anyday over white granulated.
I covered them and let them sit at room temp for 4 hours, then stirred them and put them in a covered container in the fridge.
Of course, when they were ready, I still didn’t know what to do with them. They were sweet and still slightly tart, and would have been excellent on their own over ice cream, but we didn’t have any, so I set out to look on Pinterest for ideas.
I came across a recipe for Sour Cherry Pie with Almond Crumble on Smitten Kitchen. It looked like a dessert that was right up my alley, and I have to tell you, for someone who has never eaten cherry pie, this was life-changing. I’m not exaggerating.
Here’s how to make it:
Cherry Crumble Pie (adapted from this recipe on Smitten Kitchen)
- 1/2 package pre-made pie crust (I was NOT making my own pastry when it was 80 degrees out)
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- pinch fine sea salt
- ½ cup whole almonds, finely chopped
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cups sour cherries in their juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 375
- Par-bake the pie crust (8-10 mins)
- While the crust is cooling, make the crumble. Mix all remaining ingredients, except the sour cherries, in a bowl – I used my hands to make sure the butter was evenly distributed
- Top the crust with the sour cherries in their juices (notice how they’ve turned a sort of lovely crimson)
- Top the cherries with the crumble
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crumble is browned and crispy (Watch the edges!)
- Let it cool completely before serving.